6. Climate change mitigation I
Transport emissions in cities
In this lecture, we cover the first part of emissions in cities: transport emissions.
Download the slides here
- Why green and healthy transport modes deliver vast rewards for cities by C40
- An in-depth study by Transport and Environment comparing the life-cycle emissions of electric, and diesel and petrol cars. See also the first 3 pages of the report.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Fastest-Growing Source of Global Emissions: Transport by the World Resources Institute.
Global figures and concepts
Activity and modal share
- https://www.c40knowledgehub.org/s/article/How-to-achieve-a-walking-and-cycling-transformation-in-your-city?language=en_US (you can find there the description of the “superblock” policy in Barcelona)
- see also https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/07/six-secrets-from-the-planner-of-sevillas-lightning-bike-network/ for the story of bicycle promotion in Sevilla.
- How can we now reduce CO2 emissions from cars? by France Strategy (advisor to the French prime minister)
- CO2 performance of new passenger cars in Europe in 2022, by European Environment Agency
- [in French] Voitures électriques, à quel coût? by France Stratégie.
To know more
The C40 website provides much information on these subjects. For example:
- A nice presentation (in French) about transport emissions and car technologies: Video by N. Meilhan (France Stratégie)