5: Implementing climate policies I
Framing an adaptation strategy.
Now that we have studied the main impacts of climate change, and a few adaptation policies, how can we frame an adaptation strategy in practice?
Download the slides here
- CEREMA. The resilience compass - Benchmarks for territorial resilience (it can be downloaded freely from the website of CEREMA)
- Urban planning for resilience and health: key messages by the World Health Organization
When should adaptation begin?
What type of policy can we do?
How to frame a strategy?
Please also watch this video: Sébastien Maire - Paris and the Resilience Approach to Cities
To know more
- To know more on general questions on adaptation policies in cities, you can have a look at the Chapter 6 “Cities, Settlements and Key Infrastructure” of the working group 2 of the last IPCC report. You can especially read the 5 Frequently Asked Questions (near the end of the chapter).
- To know more about the state of adaptation policies in France, you can read:
- [In French] The report of the French Senate of the country readiness to cope with climate impacts
- The 2021 report of the French High Panel for the Climate
- To get information on adaptation strategies in various cities, C40 Cities: Adaptation Data Explorer (Interactive Map).
- Knowledge on resilience and disaster risk management on World Bank’s Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery website. You can especially read Adaptation Principles : A Guide for Designing Strategies for Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience.
- To know more on the public park Enghaveparken (Copenhagen) that I use as an example, a video presentation of the project.
References cited in the videos
- [first video] Hallegatte, S., F. Lecocq, and C. de Perthuis. 2011. “Designing Climate Change Adaptation Policies: An Economic Framework.” Policy Research Working Paper Series.
- [second video] Magnan, A. K., E.l.f. Schipper, M. Burkett, S. Bharwani, I. Burton, S. Eriksen, F. Gemenne, J. Schaar, and G. Ziervogel. 2016. “Addressing the Risk of Maladaptation to Climate Change.” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change 7 (5): 646–65.
- [3rd and 4th videos] Hallegatte, S. 2009. “Strategies to Adapt to an Uncertain Climate Change.” Global Environmental Change 19 (2): 240–47.