10: Climate change mitigation III
Other emissions (food, consumption-based emissions etc.)
In this lecture, we cover the remaining emissions of cities. This raises the key question of the definition of the emissions of a city.
Download the slides here
Defining city GHG emissions
- Some background on consumption-based emissions vs. production-based emissions : https://resourcecentre.c40.org/resources/consumption-based-ghg-emissions
- Global Protocol for Community-scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories : https://ghgprotocol.org/greenhouse-gas-protocol-accounting-reporting-standard-cities
- A youtube video presenting this framework : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9_bZ3GsoZA&ab_channel=IISDReportingServices%2FEarthNegotiationsBulletin%28ENB%29
- A comparison of emission inventories of different cities
- The peak in cities emissions
- How to reduce emissions of cities
- A nice video showing New York City’s greenhouse gas emissions.
The definition of consumption-based emissions
Reducing consumption in cities
- The report by C40 that I am mentioning several times is https://www.c40knowledgehub.org/s/article/The-future-of-urban-consumption-in-a-1-5-C-world?language=en_US
- A previous work on the same subject can be found here https://www.c40knowledgehub.org/s/article/Consumption-based-GHG-emissions-of-C40-cities?language=en_US